Alright, Ed here. In this article, I’m going to walk you through building a folding bed. Folding bed’s are great for a variety of reasons, and whether you’re using it for yourself or a guest just doesn’t matter. You can build one of these and put wheels on it for easier storage too!
Now, I know what you’re thinking… why go through all the trouble to build one of these, when you can just buy a rollaway bed at http://www.rollawaybed.net/10-best-folding-guest-beds/ right? Folding beds aren’t simple to build!
But I’m going to prove you wrong. Let’s get started!
Ok Ed, What Materials Do We Need?
- Tools – We’ll require a saw, a circle saw, hammer, drill, a measuring tape and a square.
- Misc – Some sand-paper, a pencil, some wood filler and glue, heavy duty magnets and and a couple hinges.
- Nuts and Bolts – Finishing nails, 2 inch screws and 2 inch nails.
- Wood – plywood (half inch), a bunch of 1×12, 1×8, 1×4, 1×2 for support, frame and trim.
If you don’t have all of these things handy, you can compromise. For example, if you take a mattress and flop it on the floor you will have created a very quick and handy sleeping surface.
If you do have all the tools and hardware required, great! Let’s get building that folding bed!
I’m Ready! Let’s Put This Folding Bed Together!
- Build the box that will basically hold the folding or rollaway bed (if you add wheels). Use the 1×12 and remember to leave an extra 2 inches around the thing so the bed will fit.
- Using glue and screws, attach the sides.
- Add two pieces of 1×4 at the front and back.
- Cut and attach some 1×2 on the top. It is trim to look better. Remember the skills you need to use to avoid splintering the wood!
- Now make a slightly smaller box that will fit in the bigger one. This box is for the mattress.
- Use the plywood to make a faux armoire look on the bottom of your folding bed. This is what people see when its folded and rolled away.
- Pre-drill some holes and using nails and glue connect the frame and box together.
- Make sure everything is level while you attach the box to the wall.
- Assemble the rest of the bed, and sand and smooth it all.
- Fold and store your bed whenever you need too!
There you have it. I didn’t go into massive detail, however you can visit this link on How to Build a Folding Bed which has everything covered a little better than I do here.
Thanks for reading, and come back soon. I have plenty more projects on the go!