In the kitchen, decoration and utility go hand in hand. One must look to improve the work flow in the kitchen and this is where most of us make a mistake. In this article, we will try to find out what we actually need to do for a kitchen remodel and what must be the priorities in making our kitchen a better version of itself.
Understanding Your Needs
First, try to decide exactly what you need in the kitchen. Most of the time we have things like a big table or some ugly looking tools in the kitchen and we ourselves don’t know why those things are there. This is why we must make our needs clear while choosing materials and appliances for the kitchen remodel. Here are some very relevant factors that we must consider while doing that:
- Lifestyle: Our lifestyle decides what we eat and how fast we require it. We need to decide on our microwave oven, toaster and fridge. This will make sure that our interior decoration is enabling us to get the right things at the right time. This can be done quite easily if you check out your diet and the way of your cooking. It will help you to decorate your kitchen in a purposeful way.
- Kitchen Space: If you have a small kitchen space, then you must plan accordingly for that. Putting too many things in a small kitchen will make it stuffy and even hazardous to work in. This is why it is better to calculate the available kitchen space. After that, when you will install or make any changes in kitchen infrastructure, it will give you a clear idea about how much space you have to play with.
- User Point of View: Try to remodel your kitchen from a point of view of the user. It will help you to be more particular about your choices and will also help everyone who uses the kitchen. It doesn’t matter how good your kitchen looks, it must serve the actual purpose and for that, the cook must feel like it’s easy to work.
- Your Own Skills: Always take into consideration your very own remodeling skills! Don’t take on a project you can’t handle.
Storage Space Is Vital
It is a vital and necessary aspect of the kitchen remodel. A kitchen without proper storage places is very hard to maintain. This place should be designed in a way that it is easy to reach. While remodeling this very crucial part of the kitchen, you must choose the materials very carefully.
Cheap or non-sustainable materials will hamper the look in the long term and will also require a future investment if they don’t last. The design of storage must be done depending on the requirement. Creating too much storage space will only make the kitchen congested. Every storage space must have some utility and to make sure here are some useful questions you can ask yourself:
- Will it be easy to reach the storage while cooking?
- What and how much are you going to store in the kitchen?
- Will the materials and the colors I am going to use compliment the whole setting?
Electrical and Plumbing
These two are most underrated and overlooked part of the kitchen, but, without proper utilization of these two aspects, you will always find a kitchen incomplete. In a kitchen remodel process, you must plan the infrastructure you want, build the plug points where you want, keep the water service easy to use. The lighting should also be made in the proper places to ensure smoothness in work and sleekness in look.
This is another thing that most of the designers will overlook in a kitchen remodel. If a kitchen is a house, then utensils are its residents. Thus, you must choose or alter your utensils according to the design of the kitchen. Most people don’t understand that a poor looking bowl or a miserable cup set can destroy the look you designed for your kitchen. Use utensils that are sustainable and can reflect your lifestyle.
Last, but not the least is the safety in the cooking place. Make sure that the things and materials you are using in the kitchen are less prone to fire and the space management also helps to avoid risks in cooking.
In the end, it can be said that the kitchen remodel process must maintain a balance between looks and usefulness. Only then it will be a successful remodeling attempt.